High Ability Units Lessons

Lesson 1:

High Ability Unit Pretests: 7:1.1, 1.3, 1.5, 1.7

Lesson 2:

16 Habits of Mind Document

Habits of Mind Reference Chart

Discussion Questions
• What words come to mind when you think of power?
• How might you categorize these items into groups? Are there any other ways?
• How is power defined?
• How does something become powerful?
• Do only living things have power?
• Can the quantity of power change over time? Is power static or dynamic?
• Why and how would power shift?
• What evidence do you have that non-examples are not part of the concept?
• Do all your examples fit into one group?
• A generalization is something that is always or almost always true. What kinds of generalizations can you make about power?
• What criteria can we use to select or discard generalizations from our class list?
• What parts of the collaborative process did you feel were successful for you? What parts were less successful?
• Is there power to be found in collaboration? How does collaboration fit our generalizations? How does power flow between the individual and group?
• How did you apply what we already know about to this new situation?

Lesson 3:

Read Article

Discussion Questions:
• What are gossip and bullying? What is the relationship between the two?
• What role do words play in gossip and bullying?
• The word “power” is used to describe what drives bullies. What do you think about this idea? How do you think bullies get power?
• In your opinion, why do people gossip about others?
• How can individuals make a difference in combating these issues?
• Where and under what circumstances do these things become worse? Better?
• How do the internet and mobile devices contribute to these issues?
• In your opinion, what are the most serious contributors to the problems?
• What might be some possible solutions or courses of action that we could take to help solve this problem?
• If we took this action, what might be the consequences?
• If you could create three laws regarding gossip, bullying and the misuse of the power of words, what would they be?
• How can we evaluate our possible solutions to determine which might be the most realistic and productive?
• How did you utilize the Habit of Mind that we learned today?

Lesson 4: A Picture Paints a Thousand Words

Look for Wonderment and Awe Poster in Habits of Mind

Research:

• Birth of Venus
  • The Persistence of Memory
  • Starry Night
  • The Night Watch

Copies of Art Link

Blog Post: How do intelligent people react to art and ideas?

Discussion Questions:
• What does it mean to respond with wonderment and awe? Why is this considered a characteristic of intelligent people?
• In your opinion, what work would best describe the habit of mind we are discussing today? What is the connotation of the word “awesome” today?
• After analyzing a painting what is the artist trying to portray? Defend your position with evidence from the painting.
• By what criteria can we judge if a piece of art has merit? What is beauty?
• In your opinion, what would be the benefits of the artist telling this story in words as opposed to images?
• Why do you think people create art? What is the purpose?
• What if our world had no art? How would life be different?
• Does art have value? What types of art are better than others? Should governments spend money to promote artistic endeavors?
• Is “A picture paints a thousand words” a valid statement or hyperbole? Justify your position.
• What types of art cause you to respond in wonderment and awe?

POETRY UNIT:

Blog Post Quote:

Students will respond in their writer’s notebook to the following quote:
“Poetry is the journal of the sea animal living on land, wanting to fly in the air. Poetry is a search for syllables to shoot at the barriers of the unknown and the unknowable. Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.” –Carl Sandburg, Poetry Considered

Poetry Lesson 20:

LESSON 20- POETRY ANALYZER

STEP 1 –BLOG POST

Analyze the lyrics of song you that you find powerful in some way. What gives this song power in your life? Remember the definition of power includes “to produce an effect.”

STEP 2 –ANALYZE THE 3 POEMS

1. Unpacking the poem

2. Poetry Analyzer sheet

STEP 3–HOMEWORK

1. • Go to http://www.poemhunter.com/ and read at least two poems each written by one of the following poets: Octavio Paz, Pablo Neruda, and Naomi Shihab Nye.

2. Post one poem from what you have read on your BLOG

3. Be prepared to share tomorrow.

I’m Nobody! Who are you? (260) Emily Dickinson, 1830 – 1886

I’m Nobody! Who are you?

Are you – Nobody – too?

Then there’s a pair of us!

Don’t tell! they’d advertise – you know!

How dreary – to be – Somebody!

How public – like a Frog –

To tell one’s name – the livelong June –

To an admiring Bog!

The Highwayman Alfred Noyes (1880-1958) 

PART ONE

I

THE wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees, The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas, The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor, And the highwayman came riding— Riding—riding— The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn-door.

II

He’d a French cocked-hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin, A coat of the claret velvet, and breeches of brown doe-skin; They fitted with never a wrinkle: his boots were up to the thigh! And he rode with a jewelled twinkle, His pistol butts a-twinkle, His rapier hilt a-twinkle, under the jewelled sky.

III

Over the cobbles he clattered and clashed in the dark inn-yard, And he tapped with his whip on the shutters, but all was locked and barred; He whistled a tune to the window, and who should be waiting there But the landlord’s black-eyed daughter, Bess, the landlord’s daughter, Plaiting a dark red love-knot into her long black hair.

IV

And dark in the dark old inn-yard a stable-wicket creaked Where Tim the ostler listened; his face was white and peaked; His eyes were hollows of madness, his hair like mouldy hay, But he loved the landlord’s daughter,

The landlord’s red-lipped daughter, Dumb as a dog he listened, and he heard the robber say—

V

“One kiss, my bonny sweetheart, I’m after a prize to-night, But I shall be back with the yellow gold before the morning light; Yet, if they press me sharply, and harry me through the day, Then look for me by moonlight, Watch for me by moonlight, I’ll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way.”

VI

He rose upright in the stirrups; he scarce could reach her hand, But she loosened her hair i’ the casement! His face burnt like a brand As the black cascade of perfume came tumbling over his breast; And he kissed its waves in the moonlight, (Oh, sweet, black waves in the moonlight!) Then he tugged at his rein in the moonliglt, and galloped away to the West.

Who Are You? THE WHO LYRICS

Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Who are you? Who, who, who, who? I woke up in a Soho doorway A policeman knew my name He said “You can go sleep at home tonight If you can get up and walk away” I staggered back to the underground And the breeze blew back my hair I remember throwin’ punches around And preachin’ from my chair [chorus:]

Well, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?) I really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?) Tell me, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?) ‘Cause I really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?) I took the tube back out of town Back to the Rollin’ Pin I felt a little like a dying clown With a streak of Rin Tin Tin I stretched back and I hiccupped And looked back on my busy day Eleven hours in the Tin Pan God, there’s got to be another way Who are you? Ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa … Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Who are you? Who, who, who, who? Who are you? Who, who, who, who? [chorus] I know there’s a place you walked Where love falls from the trees My heart is like a broken cup I only feel right on my knees I spit out like a sewer hole Yet still recieve your kiss How can I measure up to anyone now After such a love as this? [chorus]